Design Engineer - Steering / Suspension Team Lead
Battle Motors (formerly Crane Carrier Company) prides itself on delivering efficient, effective solutions for the heavy-duty truck industry. With the evolution of our new EV technology, we are growing faster than ever. We’re currently searching for a Design Engineer – Steering/Suspension Team Lead to join our team, help us grow and scale and continue our tradition of success.
This role is critical to our extreme growth. The ideal candidate will be an experienced engineer with a business mind, a savvy leader, very organized, and familiar with heavy truck parts/automotive product development. It is necessary to be familiar with the intricacies of a fast-paced environment, have a strong desire for growth, and be a great communicator.
Role and Responsibilities
- Review customer drawings and specifications to determine requirements and/or feasibility of product.
- Create Solidworks CAD models and drawings. Perform mathematical computations to develop, design and create detailed specifications of components.
- Create innovative new solutions for our axles and braking systems for both EV and ICE chassis
- Provide direction and coaching to design engineers and CAD designers to support product design tasks as needed
- Facilitate NPI (new product introductions) process for product development and identify requirements for new products in the market
- Design new products and recognize feasibility in integrating new technologies into existing chassis
- Work collaboratively with industrial and manufacturing engineering teams during the NPI process to ensure the highest quality products are delivered
- Perform preliminary and advanced work in development of working layouts and final master parts, assembly and drawings.
- Make bill of material and drawing revisions following the Change Management Process.
- Create and release Bills of Materials for new sales and designs.
- Act as a liaison between Engineering and other departments/personnel.
- Interact with suppliers, dealers, and customers as required.
- Support other members of the Engineering department, check design work to verify layout, fit, form, function, materials, specifications and other details/documents as required.
- Complete design studies, tolerance stack-ups, layout, drawings, calculations, weight estimates and provide supporting documentation.
- Other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
- Comfortable with complex problem solving and rapidly changing priorities
- Comfortable in high pressure environments during rapid ramp up periods (as is the case during next six months)
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field desired. Equivalent education and experience required.
- Experience in product development in automotive/heavy truck suspension and steering systems required
- 5+ years of experience working with automotive/truck or heavy equipment design required, Class 7/8 truck chassis highly desired.
- 2-3 years of team lead or management experience highly desired
- 3-D CAD proficiency required; SolidWorks experience desired.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, required; experience using ERP and CRM programs desired.
- Experience with electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical systems on mobile and on-highway heavy equipment.
- Experience with EV powertrains highly desired
- Strong technical skills and mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to effectively work as part of a team with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Organizational skills and the ability to manage several different tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate across the organization and lead presentations.
Recognize the Quality Management System in place at CCC and participate in the processes and procedures in the QMS ISO 9001:2015
Battle Motors is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
New Philadelphia, Ohio, United States (On-site)