The Manufacturing Systems Software Engineer is responsible for developing, implementing, maintaining, and continuously improving, effective manufacturing systems to support production. Operating in this role requires the ability to effectively collaborate with key stakeholders throughout the company to be able to define the requirements for scalable manufacturing systems implementations. This includes the associated documentation and training for deploying new manufacturing systems and integrating with the overall technology stack, such as ERP/MES. Our rapidly expanding operations present near-term career advancement opportunities for this role.
- Deploy, enhance, document, and train manufacturing systems software solutions that operate and integrate within the enterprise-wide technology stack.
- Assist in defining controls architecture, platform, and functionality necessary to execute all required functions to support manufacturing operations.
- Specify instrumentation and data acquisition systems needs for PLC and RTU installations.
- SCADA, PLC, HMI, and VFD motor control systems programming.
- Write custom libraries for new systems and integrate them throughout the technology stack where needed.
- Maintain systems scripting and code releases in a well-structured repository to facilitate strategically planned production release deployments.
- Identify, document, and implement opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all operating systems, software platforms, and hardware used on the shop floor.
- Troubleshoot instrumentation, controls and other manufacturing systems related hardware issues.
- Collaborate throughout the company to outline short and long-term requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering related field.
- 3+ years’ experience with both PLCs and Distributed Control Systems.
- Hands-on experience with the installation and programming of industrial controllers, PLCs, HMI, process instrumentation, motor drives, and SCADA.
- Experience integrating with 3rd party software packages, especially ERP/MES solutions.
- Familiarity interfacing with data analytics & visualization platforms such as Tableau and Power BI.
Training and Job knowledge Requirements
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize duties.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple projects.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and present performance metrics.
- Ability to work in a manufacturing shop floor environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Flexibility of schedule as needs arise.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time and lift up to 50 pounds as required.
- May be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Personal Protective Equipment
- Safety glasses, steel-toed shoes and hearing protection required in manufacturing areas.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Crane Carrier Company is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
New Philadelphia, Ohio